- Title: No indication Times Square car crash connected to terrorism - NYC Police
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MAY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) EMERGENCY CREWS TREATING VICTIM ON SIDEWALK POLICE OFFICER CARRYING STRETCHER TO VICTIM PEOPLE WATCHING CRASH AFTERMATH FROM SIDEWALK MAN HELPING VICTIM ON SIDEWALK
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 19:08
- Keywords: dead injured police crash Times Square New York
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0046HDAJ47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A speeding car plowed into pedestrians on a sidewalk in New York City's busy Times Square on Thursday (May 18), killing one person and injuring 22, and authorities said there was no indication it was an act of terrorism.
Witnesses said the motorist was driving against traffic before his burgundy Honda sedan mounted the sidewalk and struck pedestrians. The car hit a pole and came to rest at 45th Street and Broadway before police took the driver away.
New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill told reporters there was no indication it was an act of terrorism and that the driver had two previous arrests for drunk driving. Police identified the motorist as Richard Rojas, 26, of New York.
City officials said the dead woman was 18 years old.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None