- Title: Syrian opposition meets with U.N. envoy in Geneva
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (MAY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) UNITED NATIONS BUILDING SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION'S CHIEF NEGOTIATOR NASR AL-HARIRI'S CONVOY ARRIVING AT THE U.N. CAMERAMAN AL-HARIRI STEPPING OUT OF CAR AND WALKING INTO THE U.N. SECURITY GUARDS SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION'S BUS ARRIVING AT THE U.N. SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION'S MEMBERS STEPPING OUT OF THE BUS AND WALKING INTO THE U.N.
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 18:42
- Keywords: United Nations U.N. delegation opposition Syria
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HDAQ87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Syrian opposition delegation met with the United Nations' special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura on Thursday (May 18) at the U.N. in Geneva.
The peace talks hosted by the U.N. spawned a new series of meetings on Thursday with no hint of tangible progress towards a deal to end the six-year-old civil war.
Government negotiator Bashar al-Ja'afari told reporters that the expert meetings were an initiative from his delegation and could continue into Friday if needed.
Opposition spokesman Yahya al-Aridi told Reuters that the Damascus delegation was trying to divert attention from the main objective of the talks - political transition, a phrase used by the opposition to mean Assad's ouster.
Asked if the three days of talks had made headway, he said: "Not too much. Original expectations were not very high."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None