- Title: Car driven through Times Square crowd kills one, injures 23
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: OVERHEAD VIEW OF WOUNDED ON STRETCHERS BEING LOADED INTO AMBULANCE (PART MUTE)
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 18:31
- Keywords: accident wounded crash Times Square
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HDANUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A speeding car plowed into pedestrians on a sidewalk in New York City's busy Times Square on Thursday (May 18), killing one person and injuring a dozen, according to witnesses, and police said the incident did not appear to be an act of terrorism.
A Reuters witness said one person was covered with a bloodstained blanket after the collision, which occurred around noon ET (1600 GMT) at the Midtown Manhattan tourist venue.
The City's said there were 23 people injured.
Hundreds of thousands of people, many of them tourists from around the world, pass daily through the bustling commercial area, the heart of the Broadway theater district.
Witnesses said the motorist had driven a red Honda sedan against traffic and onto the sidewalk, striking pedestrians. The car crashed into a pole and came to rest at 45th Street and Broadway before police took the driver away.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None