- Title: Iraqi forces intensify assault in Western Mosul
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: 17 TAMMUZ DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ (MAY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) ROOFTOPS OF BUILDINGS IN AREA VARIOUS OF BLACK SMOKE RISING ABOVE TARGETED AREA (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) HELICOPTER FLYING OVER AREA (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CARS AND DAMAGED CAR BOMBS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CARS AND BUILDINGS WRECKAGE OF CAR BOMB AND SCATTERED DEBRIS NEAR HOUSES TWO RAPID RESPONSE MEMBERS WALKING DOWN STREET HUMVEE DRIVING DOWN STREET LITTERED WITH RUBBLE MILITARY VEHICLES STANDING IN STREET
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 11:51
- Keywords: Islamic State Mosul offensive frontline districts
- Location: 17 TAMMUZ DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: 17 TAMMUZ DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HD8K07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S.-backed Iraqi forces on Thursday (May 18) pushed deeper into Mosul's frontline districts, the last pockets of the city still controlled by Islamic State militants after seven months of gruelling urban combat.
Trapped in a shrinking area with no way out, the ultra hardline Sunni militants are hitting back with a barrage of suicide car bombs and snipers hidden among hundreds of thousands of civilians they are effectively holding hostage.
Backed by a U.S.-led coalition, Iraqi forces have made rapid gains since opening a new front in northwest Mosul this month and have now dislodged Islamic State from all but about 12 square km (5 square miles) of the city.
The Iraqi government is pushing to declare victory by the holy month of Ramadan - expected to begin on May 27 - even if pockets of resistance remain in the Old City, according to military commanders.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None