- Title: Families of victims mark one year since Egyptair plane crash
- Date: 19th May 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) EGYPTIAN MINISTER OF CIVIL AVIATION, SHERIF FATHI, SAYING: "Remembering, it's in commemoration of the event itself, nothing more, nothing less. We just want to show sympathy and support to the families of the victims."
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2017 22:46
- Keywords: memorial disaster transport Anniversary Crash Plane Egyptair Egypt
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT / AT SEA / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT / AT SEA / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HIAI4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Families, friends, and Egyptair officials as well as employees commemorated on Friday (May 19) the one year anniversary of an Egyptair plane which crashed while en route from Paris to Cairo.
Flight MS 804 plunged into one of the deepest parts of the Mediterranean Sea on May 19, 2016 killing all 66 people on board.
Egypt's minister of civil aviation Sherif Fathi attended the ceremony where many were seen lighting candles at a memorial corner erected at the ministry in remembrance of the victims.
In December, Egypt's committee responsible for the crash's investigation issued a statement saying the coroner had found traces of explosives on the remains of some victims. It gave no more details but said its findings were sent to prosecutors investigating foul play.
But France's foreign ministry had said the causes were still being investigated.
Audio from the flight recorder mentioned a fire on board the plane in its final moments and analysis of the flight data recorder showed smoke in the lavatory and avionics bay.
The Paris prosecutor's office opened a manslaughter investigation last June but said it was not looking into terrorism as a possible cause at that stage.
No group has claimed responsibility for the crash.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None