- Title: Syrian opposition says no political solution possible with Iran's involvement
- Date: 19th May 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (MAY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF THE U.N. BUILDING VARIOUS OF HEAD OF THE SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION, NASR AL-HARIRI, ARRIVING TO THE U.N. CAMERAWOMAN FILMING SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION ARRIVING FOR MEETING CAMERAMAN FILMING
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2017 18:38
- Keywords: restart Syria Talks Syria's special envoy Syrian opposition delegation at U.N.
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HI9XL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Syrian opposition delegation leader Nasr al-Hariri said on Friday (May 19) it was not possible to reach a political solution or to fight terrorism as long as Iran and its militias remained in Syria, and reiterated the opposition's demand to remove President Bashar al-Assad.
Al-Hariri also commented on the latest air strike the U.S. military carried out on Damascus-backed militia, saying any real effort in limiting Iranian influence and facing militias benefits Syrian people.
Syria peace talks hosted by the United Nations in Geneva spawned a new series of meetings on Thursday (May 18) with no hint of tangible progress towards a deal to end the six-year-old civil war.
In a sign of the chasm between foes who have frustrated repeated international efforts at peacemaking, they are not negotiating face-to-face but only in turn with U.N. mediator Staffan de Mistura.
The talks have been increasingly marginalised over the past year as Assad's forces, backed by Russia and Iran, have won back territory from the rebels, while the United States has largely stepped back from a leading role in Syrian diplomacy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None