- Title: French troops will remain in Mali until militants eradicated-Macron
- Date: 19th May 2017
- Summary: MACRON AND BOUBACAR WALKING PAST GUARD OF HONOUR
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2017 17:04
- Keywords: Mali's president French troops in Africa Emmanuel Macron visits Mali
- Location: GAO AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, MALI
- City: GAO AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, MALI
- Country: Mali
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HI9LQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:France will continue to shoulder the military burden of fighting Islamist militants in north and west Africa but Germany and other European countries can do more to help, President Emmanuel Macron said on his first overseas visit on Friday (May 19).
Macron's choice of Mali for his first trip as commander-in-chief since his election on May 7 fulfilled a campaign promise to visit French troops fighting Islamist militants.
Former colonial power France intervened in 2013 to drive out al Qaeda-linked militants who seized northern Mali the year before. It has since deployed some 4,000 soldiers, known as the Barkhane force, across the region to hunt down Islamists.
France has been hard hit by Islamist attacks, which have killed more than 230 people on its territory in the past two years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.