- Title: South Korean envoy meets China's President in Beijing
- Date: 19th May 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MAY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREAN ENVOY TO CHINA, LEE HAE-CHAN, WALKING IN AND SHAKING HANDS WITH CHINA'S PRESIDENT XI JINPING BILATERAL MEETING IN PROGRESS XI SPEAKING LEE LISTENING XI SPEAKING CHINESE DELEGATES LEE SPEAKING XI LISTENING LEE GIVING A LETTER TO XI SOUTH KOREAN DELEGATES MEETING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF THE GREAT HALL OF THE PEOPLE
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2017 04:37
- Keywords: improve ties North Korea THAAD Lee Hae-chan Xi Jinping
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HI74G5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Seoul's envoy to China, Lee Hae-chan on Friday (May 19) in Beijing.
Sent by new South Korean President Moon Jae-in, Lee is in China to help improve ties.
During the meeting Xi told Lee he was willing to put relations with Seoul back on a normal track.
China has strongly opposed the U.S. THAAD anti-missile system deployed in South Korea to counter the threat from North Korea, saying it can spy into its territory, and South Korean companies have been hit in China by a nationalist backlash over the deployment.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None