- Title: EU's Mogherini "impressed" by Iran's voter participation
- Date: 20th May 2017
- Summary: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN (MAY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) EUROPEAN UNION'S HIGH REPRESENTATIVE FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS, FEDERICA MOGHERINI, SAYING: "I take this opportunity to say also on the record what I wrote, that I was very impressed by the level of participation of the Iranian people to the elections, massively participating to the vote yesterday. And I congratulate President Rouhani for a very strong mandate he receives for a second term. We have been working well together on the implementation of the deal on the Iranian nuclear program, and I know how committed he is to continue the full implementation of the agreement, but also how committed he is to engaging with the international community, with Europe in particular, on many bilateral issues, but also on peace in the region. And here we need to work a lot, we will need also a different kind of engagement from Iran, and I am sure that the strong mandate he received yesterday can be a good basis for further cooperation in this respect. Thank you very much." / MOGHERINI LEAVING
- Embargoed: 3rd June 2017 17:05
- Keywords: Donald Trump policy Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei election President Hassan Rouhani
- Location: TEHRAN, IRAN / DEAD SEA, SWAYMEH, JORDAN
- City: TEHRAN, IRAN / DEAD SEA, SWAYMEH, JORDAN
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HN713B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: President Hassan Rouhani pledged on Saturday (May 20) to open Iran to the world and deliver freedoms its people have yearned for, throwing down a defiant challenge to his hardline opponents after securing a decisive re-election for a second term.
EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs, Federica Mogherini, on Saturday congratulated Rouhani on his re-election.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum held in Jordan, EU's top diplomat said she was impressed at the level of voter participation.
Rouhani, long known as a cautious and mild-mannered establishment insider, reinvented himself as a bold champion of reform during the election campaign, which culminated on Friday (May 19) in victory with more than 57 percent of the vote. His main challenger, hardline judge Ebrahim Raisi, received 38 percent.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None