- Title: East Timor swears in new President
- Date: 20th May 2017
- Summary: TACITOLU, EAST TIMOR (MAY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) EAST TIMORESE SOLDIERS MARCHING EAST TIMOR FLAG ABOUT TO BE RAISED SOLDIERS SALUTING FLAG RAISED SOLDIERS SALUTING
- Embargoed: 3rd June 2017 02:59
- Keywords: former independence fighter youngest country in Asia swearing in East Timor President Francisco "Lu Olo" Guterres
- Location: TACITOLU, EAST TIMOR
- City: TACITOLU, EAST TIMOR
- Country: Timor-Leste
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HN6SED
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: **PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING**
East Timor swore in former resistance fighter Francisco Guterres as the country's fourth president early on Saturday (May 20) morning.
The 62 year-old popularly-known as Lu-Olo is replacing former President Jose Maria de Vasconcelos after winning 57% of national votes defeating seven other candidates.
Guterres, East Timor's first party-affiliated president, promised to serve all the people of East Timor and fight corruption in his inauguration speech.
The new president is backed by one of the country's most influential figures, resistance hero Xanana Gusmao, a former president and prime minister.
Analysts say the challenge for any incoming government would be to wean the predominantly Roman Catholic nation away from reliance on oil money and diversify its sources of income into agriculture and manufacturing.
The president plays a largely ceremonial role, but it is an important post for underpinning unity, particularly with unemployment running at around 60 percent.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.