- Title: Venezuelan doctors protest shortage of medicine and medical supplies
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING WHITE LAB COATS AND HOLDING SIGNS THAT IDENTIFY THEIR GROUP MAN WEARING LAB COAT PEOPLE IN LAB COATS AND WITH VENEZUELAN FLAGS RALLYING
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 19:16
- Keywords: shortages medicine health medical workers opposition protest march doctors
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HX9JK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of health care workers from Venezuela's opposition hit the streets on Monday (May 22) to march against the government of President Nicolas Maduro, in what is now the seventh week of continuous protests against the leftist president.
Dubbed a march for health and life, doctors, medical students and other providers demanded the government respond to the dire scarcity of medicine and basic medical supplies hampering health care.
Opposition leaders are demanding a foreign humanitarian channel to supply much-needed medicine and food, elections, autonomy for the opposition-controlled legislature and freedom for jailed activists.
The protesters rallied and set off, headed to the Health Ministry, but most opposition marches now turn violent when security forces block their way, with masked youths from a self-styled "Resistance" movement hurling stones and petrol bombs at lines of National Guard troops who use teargas and water cannons to turn them back.
A smaller, pro-government rally took place across the city.
Since the beginning of April, at least 47 people have died in anti-Maduro unrest, including supporters of both sides, some bystanders, and members of the security forces.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.