- Title: Palestinians go on general strike in solidarity with prisoners held in Israel
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: POSTER
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 09:35
- Keywords: West Bank general strike prisoners hunger strike Israel Palestinians
- Location: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH AND HEBRON, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- City: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH AND HEBRON, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HX5HDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians across the West Bank and in East Jerusalem closed all shops in a general strike on Monday (May 22) to show solidarity with hunger striking prisoners held in Israeli jails.
Shops were closed down and locked in the West Bank cities of Ramallah, Hebron and Bethlehem and in East Jerusalem, in support of Palestinian prisoners who declared a hunger strike last month to demand better conditions in Israeli jails.
The general strike comes hours before U.S. President Donald Trump arrives in the region, where he will meet Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Trump has boasted that with his negotiating skills he can bring Israelis and Palestinians together to resolve one of the world's most intractable conflicts and do "the ultimate deal".
But officials on both sides see scant prospects for any major breakthrough in long-stalled peace negotiations during his 24-hour visit on Monday and Tuesday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.