- Title: EU's Barnier expects first Brexit talks in week starting June 19
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF EUROPEAN COUNCIL BUILDINGS PEDESTRIANS WALKING EUROPEAN FLAGS WITH EUROPEAN COUNCIL JUSTUS LIPSUS BUILDING
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 13:35
- Keywords: deal negotiation talks ministers Barnier Brexit Britain
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HX7X3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European Union governments agreed a common Brexit negotiating plan on Monday (May 22) and renewed their insistence that they would not open talks on a post-Brexit trade deal until London agrees to settle what it owes the Union.
Ministers from the 27 other EU states met in Brussels to sign off on a common strategy and mandate the EU executive, in the form of chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, to launch talks on their behalf after Britain's June 8 election. The strategy and mandate were adopted unanimously, officials said.
Barnier said he expected to sit down with British officials for the first time in the week starting Monday, June 19, and to report to EU leaders on the talks during a summit on June 22-23, exactly a year since Britons shocked the Union by voting to leave in a referendum on June 23, 2016.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None