- Title: Tourists in Hollywood react to Manchester attack
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) WIDE OF HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD TOURIST WALKING WITH POLICE IN FOREGROUND MORE OF POLICE SIGN FOR HOLLYWOOD/HIGHLAND VARIOUS OF TOURISTS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) KATHY BOYS, TOURIST FROM NEBRASKA, SAYING: "Every day we have dangers. We just can't live our lives full of suspicion and full of hatred and full of anxieties and so I think we just have to keep on living our lives and treating others fairly and lovingly as we possibly can." CROWDS IN HOLLYWOOD TOURISTS SNAPPING PHOTOS (SOUNDBITE) (English) TANYA WARNEKE, TOURIST FROM NEBRASKA, SAYING: "We are living in this age where this is just going to happen and we have no control. We just have to go ahead and live our life and do our things and be aware." MORE CROWDS ION HOLLYWOOD (SOUNDBITE) (English) JULIET BOWRON, TOURIST OF FROM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, SAYING: "We can't let them win. We have to carry on enjoying life and coming to visit amazing places like here (Hollywood Blvd) and not letting the terrorists win. I mean that's why they use terror, that's their raison d'etre is to create terror and I wonâ€™t let them win." (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHRIS BOWRON, TOURIST FORM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, SAYING: "I am not going to stop going to concerts because one idiot who decided that he thought that he was fabulous by killing people. But, I mean, when it comes to safety, I think when you see police officers and stuff you know they are there for our protection. There are more of them than let's say last week because of this. I mean because of all of them it means we are safer." MORE OF HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 00:13
- Keywords: crowds tourist Manchester Los Angeles Hollywood
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I2AZIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Like any normal day, thousands of people unloaded from buses in Hollywood on Tuesday (May 23) to enjoy the sights and sounds of one of the most popular tourists towns in the United States, one day after a deadly attack left 22 dead in Manchester, England.
Snapping photos of wax figures and characters dressed up in super hero costumes, many of the tourists said they weren't going to allow fear to ruin their holiday.
"We can't let them win," said Juliet Bowron, 54, visiting from Sydney, Australia. "We have to carry on enjoying life and coming to visit amazing places like here (Hollywood Blvd) and not letting the terrorists win. I mean that's why they use terror, that's their raison d'Ãªtre is to create terror and I won't let them win," she added.
Police were patrolling most streets around the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, where thousands take in wax museums and theaters while shopping for memorabilia.
"I think when you see police officers and stuff you know they are there for out protection," said Chris Bowron, 19, who was visiting with his mom Juliet. "There are more of them than let's say last week...because of all of them it means we are safer," he added.
Kathy Warneke, 42, visiting from Nebraska, said she is resigned to the fact that these days she always feels like she needs to look over her shoulder.
"We are living in this age where this is just going to happen and we have no control. We just have to ahead and live our life and do our things and be aware," she said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None