- Title: Russia's Lavrov expresses condolences after Manchester attack
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO BRITISH EMBASSY COAT OF ARMS ON WALL POLICEMEN BRITISH FLAG AT HALF-MAST WOMAN CARRYING FLOWERS AND LAYING THEM NEAR EMBASSY BUILDING FLOWERS YOUNG MAN LAYING FLOWERS FLOWERS FLOWERS AND PAPER WITH BRITISH FLAG READING (English): 'GREAT BRITAIN, ONE MUST "LIVE" WITH CONDOLENCES TO ALL RELATIVES AND FRIENDS, KEEP TO RUSSIA WITH YOU' FLOWERS AND TOY WOMAN LAYING FLOWERS FLOWERS MOSCOW RESIDENT, KIRILL OGARKOV, LAYING FLOWERS TOY (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, KIRILL OGARKOV, SAYING: "I came here to honour the memory of those who were killed in the terror act in Manchester. This is a horrible tragedy and it doesn't leave anybody indifferent. I came here, to express solidarity with United Kingdom citizens at least in some way. I would like to wish them to be strong. We are with them." FLOWERS AND TOY RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV AND HIS CROATIAN COUNTERPART DAVOR IVO STIER ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "(We've) expressed condolences to the British government and British people and to all those who have suffered in the terror attack which took place in Manchester stadium overnight." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "(We) emphasized the necessity to mobilize efforts of the world community to stand against international terrorism. (We) noted that many countries, including those outside the Middle East, in the Balkans and in post-Soviet states, are the sources of new foreign terrorists who are spreading across different regions and can come back to their native countries." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 15:15
- Keywords: suicide bomber condolences Russia's Foreign Minister victims Sergei Lavrov United Kingdom embassy terror attack flowers Russia
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I296PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov expressed condolences on Tuesday (May 23) to the British government and victims of the deadly Manchester bombing.
Speaking at the news conference after talks with his Croatian counterpart Davor Ivo Stier in Moscow Lavrov emphasized "the necessity to mobilize efforts of the world community to stand against international terrorism".
Some Russians brought flowers and toys to the British Embassy in Moscow.
At least 22 people, including some children, were killed and 59 wounded when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande on Monday (May 22).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None