- Title: Trump budget arrives on Capitol Hill, aims to slash government spending
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BUDGET BOOKS SPREAD OUT ON TABLE CLOSE UP OF BUDGET BOOK, COVER READS "A NEW FOUNDATION FOR AMERICAN GREATNESS" VARIOUS OF BUDGET BEING HANDED OUT BUDGET ON TABLE
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 14:43
- Keywords: budget arrives budget photo op Trump budget
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Budget/Taxation/Revenue,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I28UVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The White House delivered President Donald Trump's first full budget to lawmakers on Tuesday (May 23), a plan that would slash funding for healthcare and food assistance programs for the poor while it trims the deficit.
The plan would cut $3.6 trillion in government spending over 10 years, balancing the budget by the end of the decade. More than $800 billion would be cut from the Medicaid program for the poor and more than $192 billion from food stamps.
Presidential budgets are often ignored by the U.S. Congress, which controls federal purse strings. Lawmakers are expected to shy away from at least some of the many politically sensitive cuts proposed by Trump.
The budget, which covers the fiscal year that starts in October, is being delivered as the White House tries to push ahead on its pro-business economic agenda while grappling with the political fallout from Trump's firing of former FBI Director James Comey.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None