- Title: Macron and his ministers visit British embassy, condemns Manchester attack
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) MACRON, PHILIPPE, LE DRIAN AND DE SARNEZ WALKING IN BRITISH EMBASSY COURTYARD / MACRON GREETING BRITISH AMBASSADOR TO FRANCE, EDWARD LLEWELLYN / LLEWELLYN GREETING LE DRIAN, PHILIPPE AND DE SARNEZ / MACRON, MINISTERS AND AMBASSADOR ENTERING EMBASSY VARIOUS OF MACRON SIGNING GOLDEN BOOK MACRON SHAKING HANDS WITH LLEWELLYN AND ENTERING ROOM VARIOUS OF MACRON'S MESSAGE IN GOLDEN BOOK READING (French): "Our terrorist enemies have struck us once again. Our youth, a place of celebration, a city of heart, a country of courage. Faced with them, we are united, more together and determined than ever. France sends a fraternal and unwavering support to the United Kingdom. We are together." (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "With the prime minister (Edouard Philippe), the European and foreign affairs minister (Jean-Yves Le Drian), and the minister for European affairs (Marielle de Sarnez), we came this afternoon to the British embassy in Paris with the ambassador (Edward Llewellyn) to sign the golden book but also to of course express all our support and our condolences to the British people. After the attack, which took place last night in Manchester, it's quite clear that it's all of Europe and free Europe that has been attacked. European and British youths have been attacked in their hearts." MACRON DELIVERING SPEECH NEXT TO LLEWELLYN, AS PHILIPPE, LE DRIAN, AND DE SARNEZ, LISTEN (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "We will be determined and unwavering alongside our European partners to fight against terrorism across our continent. A lot of steps have already been taken, our cooperation on the matter is exemplary. But we will continue reinforcing this cooperation at every moment with actions." MACRON DELIVERING SPEECH (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Beyond this feeling of solidarity, believe in France's will to go further in European cooperation as well as in the security and protection of all our citizens. What happened yesterday in Manchester showed once again that terrorists have a target: the free world, youth, and that we all have a deep common destiny in this regard." BRITISH FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 14:30
- Keywords: Edward Llewellyn attack Edouard Philippe Britain Jean-Yves Le Drian embassy Manchester UK Emmanuel Macron France
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0056I28U2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING.
French President Emmanuel Macron set out on foot from the Elysee Palace on Tuesday (May 23) accompanied by three of his ministers, including Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Foreign and European Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, to pay his respects to the Manchester attack victims at the British Embassy, just a few steps away from the presidential residence.
Macron signed the golden book with a message of "unity" and "unwavering" support to Britain, words he repeated during his speech after meeting with British Ambassador to France Edward Llewellyn.
An unidentified suicide bomber is suspected of carrying out the deadly attack which left 22 people dead at the Manchester Arena. Islamic State has since claimed responsibility.
Macron said France would continue to reinforce cooperation with European partners in the fight against terrorism.
More than 230 people have died in France in the past two years at the hands of attackers allied to the militant group Islamic State, whose strongholds in Syria and Iraq are being bombed by an international coalition including France.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None