- Title: Former South Korean president Park leaves court after corruption trial
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** BUS WAITING IN CAR PARK SOUTH KOREA'S FORMER PRESIDENT PARK GEUN-HYE WEARING HANDCUFFS, WALKING TOWARDS BUS VARIOUS OF PARK GETTING ON BUS VARIOUS OF BUS CARRYING PARK LEAVING PARK'S LAWYER, YOO YEONG-HA, WALKING OUT THROUGH COURT SECURITY YOO WALKING DOWNSTAIRS AND BEING SURROUNDED BY REPORTERS YOO WALKING PAST (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) FORMER SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENT PARK GEUN HYE'S LAWYER, YOO YEONG-HA, SAYING: "It is a shame for us, but since it is the court's decision, we will accept it." VARIOUS OF YOO LEAVING COURT, SURROUNDED BY REPORTERS
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 06:35
- Keywords: corruption trial lawyer departure trial court Park Geun-hye former president South Korea
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I26CSL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's former leader Park Geun-hye left the Seoul Central District Court on Tuesday (May 23) after her first trial over a corruption scandal that brought down her presidency.
Park, in collusion with her friend Choi Soon-Sil, abused her power and pressured companies to pay her tens of millions of dollars in bribes, a prosecutor told a Seoul court at the beginning of the trial.
If found guilty of taking bribes from business leaders including Samsung Group scion Jay Y. Lee, one of the key accusations that led to her impeachment, Park faces more than 10 years in jail.
Park has denied any wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty at the trial. Her lawyers rejected the 18 charges against her in pre-trial proceedings. Lee has also rejected charges he bribed Park in return for favours for Samsung.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None