- Title: Palestinians protest in support of prisoners as Trump meets Abbas in Bethlehem
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS PROTEST IN SUPPORT OF HUNGER-STRIKING PRISONERS HELD AT ISRAELI JAILS/ PROTESTER HOLDING UP A BANNER CALLING ON U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP TO PRESSURE ISRAEL TO IMPROVE PRISONERS CONDITIONS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING AND MARCHING TOWARDS CHURCH OF NATIVITY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER FROM BETHLEHEM, MUNTHER AMIREH, SAYING: "This event (protest) coincides with the visit of U.S. President Trump today. We wanted to convey the voice of our prisoners, who are going through the 37th day of a hunger strike. We tell the entire world that the Palestinian prisoners are freedom fighters and the entire world and its free people have to support this strike and help the Palestinian people (achieve) self-determination and the self-determination of our hero prisoners inside the Israeli jails." MORE OF PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF BETHLEHEM, MOHAMMAD AL-JAAFRI, SAYING: "(This protest) is a message to the United States of America whose president is visiting Bethlehem today, and which is a strategic ally of Israel, to put an American pressure on Israel to respond to our political rights at first and the rights that are related to our prisoners who are on hunger strike." PALESTINIANS HOLDING PICTURES OF HUNGER STRIKING PRISONERS DURING PROTEST
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 09:40
- Keywords: Mahmoud Abbas U.S. President Donald Trump hunger-striking prisoners protest Palestinians
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I25QO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Dozens of Palestinians demonstrated in support of hunger-striking prisoners in Bethlehem on Tuesday (May 23) and called on visiting U.S. President Donald Trump to pressure Israel to improve inmates conditions.
The protesters chanted slogans and carried pictures of prisoners as they marched towards the church of Nativity.
The protest took place as U.S. President Donald Trump met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the town's presidential compound.
Trump who arrived in Israel on Monday (May 22) is expected to visit Yad Vashem Holocaust museum and deliver a keynote address before departing to Rome.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None