- Title: Indonesian police inspect site of gay club raid
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** NORTH JAKARTA POLICE CHIEF DWIYONO ARRIVING AT SIDE OF GAY CLUB RAID DWIYONO PUTTING ON GLOVES BEFORE ENTERING SITE DWIYONO WALKING BETWEEN CUBICLES VARIOUS OF DWIYONO SHOWING MEDIA SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) NORTH JAKARTA POLICE CHIEF, DWIYONO, SAYING: "The last update we have is that the suspects or the visitors were coming to this place because they received a broadcast message and invitation from Atlantis gym management. They are generally visitors who have already visited and registered here." DWIYONO SURROUNDED BY MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) NORTH JAKARTA POLICE CHIEF, DWIYONO, SAYING: "The first floor was used as a gym; the second floor, which is the exact place we raided yesterday, was used for stripteases; and they used the third floor, where all the cubicles are, for those homosexuals (sexual activities)." POLICE SHOWING THE GYM ON THE FIRST FLOOR TABLE WITH COMPUTERS ON IT AND TRAYS WITH PACKETS OF CONDOMS AND CANDY CONDOMS AND CANDY ON TRAY SIGN READING (English): "GRAB A LITTLE SWEETS HERE BEFORE YOU GRAB THAT BIG SWEET LOLLYPOP INSIDE" POLICE WALKING NEXT TO HOT TUB SIGN READING (English): "DEAR VALUED CUSTOMERS, PLEASE DO NOT "HARASS" OUR STAFF IN ANY WAY AT ALL INCLUDING, TOUCHING AND SO ON" POLICE BRINGING OUT BOXES OF EVIDENCE POLICEMAN WEARING TOP WITH WORDS ON BACK READING (Bahasa Indonesia): "CRIMINAL DIVISION OF NORTH JAKARTA POLICE" EXTERIOR OF CRIME SCENE, POLICE BRINGING OUT EVIDENCE
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 08:52
- Keywords: crime scene gay prostitution gay club raid police raid LGBT Indonesia
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I26C05
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indonesian police on Tuesday (May 23) inspected a club in the north of Jakarta which authorities had raided the night before for allegedly running a gay prostitution ring.
Police detained 141 men in the raid for "violating pornography laws", according to a police spokesman on Monday (May 22). He said 10 suspects, including the owner of the club and several staff members, had been charged, while the others were being questioned.
North Jakarta's police chief Dwiyano led a tour through the building, showing cubicles allegedly used for sexual activities, as well hot tubs, trays of condoms and candy, and gym equipment.
Homosexuality is not illegal under Indonesian law, but the LGBT community has come under pressure since government officials expressed reservations last year about activism by its members.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None