- Title: Nicole Kidman tells Cannes her rebel spirit pushes her to strange films
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English), ACTRESS, NICOLE KIDMAN SAYING: ''I am just very much about when I chose a director to work with obviously that's a risk and I am totally up for taking risks, but I am also aware of the previous work I saw 'Dog Tooth' and I was like (gasps) â€¦and I wasâ€¦ so I knew, I knew what I was doing.'' NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English), DIRECTOR, YORGOS LANTHIMOS AND KIDMAN, ON COMMUNICATING WITH ACTORS ON SET, SAYING: LANTHIMOS: ''I do try to avoid it, I try to ...'' KIDMAN: ''He definitely avoids it .. yeah you ask him a question and basically he'll go 'um''' LANTHIMOS: ''I find a new way now with Nicole, that I have been using ever since - I make sounds, I try not to use words and I go like ..(pulls face) needs a little bit of work, you know and she gets it.''
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 14:11
- Keywords: Nicole Kidman The Killing of a Sacred Deer Cannes
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0056HX86KT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For an A-list star who, as she says herself, does not have to work, Nicole Kidman has been pretty busy ahead of Cannes, appearing in three movies and a TV series screening at the film festival.
"I don't have to work. I work because it's still my passion it's the way in which I express myself," she told a news conference after the screening of "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" one of two Kidman movies competing for the Palme d'Or.
Kidman - whose other Cannes offerings are science fiction teenage film "How to Talk to Girls at Parties", an episode of Jane Campion's TV series "Top of the Lake" and "The Beguiled" by Sofia Coppola - said she deliberately sought out unusual projects.
That certainly applies to "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" in which she plays the mother of children mysteriously struck with paralysis, which director Yorgos Lanthimos says is a comedy, but plays out much more like a horror film.
"I love to be asked to be in those things because that's just where I am," Kidman said. "I have always had that slightly rebel spirit where I have gone: 'I don't want to conform, I want to find a way not to.' And that's just who I am."
The Cannes Film Festival runs until Sunday (May 28).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None