- Title: Nicole Kidman tells Cannes her rebel spirit pushes her to strange films
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English), ACTRESS, NICOLE KIDMAN, SAYING: ''This film my children will not be seeing, I actually - my children don't really see my films, I mean our family is very separate to my creative life and I try to, you know, occasionally I'll do something for them that they can come on set, I did 'Paddington' where they were able to come and be part of it - but their, they have very little understanding of what my husband or I do, their lives are obviously far more important.''
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 14:11
- Keywords: Nicole Kidman The Killing of a Sacred Deer Cannes
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036HX86KT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For an A-list star who, as she says herself, does not have to work, Nicole Kidman has been pretty busy ahead of Cannes, appearing in three movies and a TV series screening at the film festival.
"I don't have to work. I work because it's still my passion it's the way in which I express myself," she told a news conference after the screening of "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" one of two Kidman movies competing for the Palme d'Or.
Kidman - whose other Cannes offerings are science fiction teenage film "How to Talk to Girls at Parties", an episode of Jane Campion's TV series "Top of the Lake" and "The Beguiled" by Sofia Coppola - said she deliberately sought out unusual projects.
That certainly applies to "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" in which she plays the mother of children mysteriously struck with paralysis, which director Yorgos Lanthimos says is a comedy, but plays out much more like a horror film.
"I love to be asked to be in those things because that's just where I am," Kidman said. "I have always had that slightly rebel spirit where I have gone: 'I don't want to conform, I want to find a way not to.' And that's just who I am."
The Cannes Film Festival runs until Sunday (May 28).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None