- Title: Stone-lifting strongmen compete for championship title in Bavaria
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: GRAFING, GERMANY (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO BEER HALL SIGN AT ENTRANCE READING (German) "GOOD DAY!" VARIOUS OF BRASS BAND PLAYING VARIOUS OF MEN DRINKING BEER BEER HALL
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 16:24
- Keywords: father's day Bavaria championship weightlifting stone-lifting strongmen
- Location: GRAFING, GERMANY
- City: GRAFING, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Sport,Weightlifting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IC4CIH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Strongmen from across the Alpine regions of Bavaria, Lower Austria and Switzerland sweated it out in the German town of Grafing on Thursday (May 25), hoping to be crowned winner of the International Alpine Championship in stone-lifting.
More than 25 competitors took turns hefting a 254kg block of concrete, with the aim of lifting it as high into the air as they could.
Spectators packed into a crowded beer hall to urge the competitors on while tucking into traditional Bavarian dishes like roast pork washed down with plenty of beer.
The traditional contest took place on Ascension Day, which is when Germany also celebrates Father's Day. The best lift of the day was performed by German champion Andreas Altmann.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.