- Title: Trump "not welcome" in Brussels, protesters say
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** PROTESTERS MARCHING RED VAN WITH PLACARDS READING (English): "FIGHT TRUMP AND HIS BILLIONAIRE FRIENDS" PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "SAY IT LOUD, SAY IT CLEAR, REFUGEES ARE WELCOME HERE" PROTESTER DRESSED AS DONALD TRUMP AND POINTING AT CAMERA CARRIAGE CARRYING "TRUMP" PROTESTER WITH SIGN READING (English): "FOX-TRUMP" REFUGEES HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "TRUMP, YOU'RE FIRED" PLACARD SHOWING TRUMP ILLUSTRATION WITH LABELS READING (English) "FAKE, STUPID TRUMP" AND ILLUSTRATION OF POLITICAL ACTIVIST ANGELA DAVIS WITH LABELS READING (English) "REAL SMART ABOLITIONIST"/ PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTER HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "FAKE PRESIDENT GO HOME" PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARDS FORMER STOCK EXCHANGE BUILDING, BANNER HANGING ON BUILDING READING: (English) "MAKE PEACE GREAT AGAIN" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS ACTING OUT MARIONETTES DRESSED AS SOLDIERS AND NATO CONTROLLERS PROTESTERS DRUMMING PROTESTERS DRESSED AS STATUE OF LIBERTY STATUE OF LIBERTY PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "NO BAN, NO WALL, HUMAN RIGHTS FOR ALL" TRUMP EFFIGY EFFIGIES OF TRUMP AND BELGIAN PRIME MINSTER CHARLES MICHEL PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH BANNER READING (English): "TRUMP NOT WELCOME" PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (English) 19-YEAR-OLD POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDENT, MARIA MIDON GARCIA, SAYING: "I think America has been for a long time a country that has a different meaning - freedom, liberty and all those stuff. I think it's become more restricted in those areas. But Trump is just the, the maximum point that we can reach. And he's just a clown that's just been elected and he's going to take away all the rights that we have been fighting for over a century." PROTESTER HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "MESSAGE TO U.S. FRIENDS: BRUSSELS IS NOT EQUAL TO HELLHOLE, TRUMP EQUALS ASSHOLE" AND ANOTHER PROTESTER WITH PLACARD READING (English): "EVEN MY DOG DOESN'T LIKE YOU, AND SHE LIKES EVERYONE" PROTESTERS DANCING AS THEY MARCH (SOUNDBITE) (English) 22-YEAR-OLD SOCIAL WORK STUDENT, STIEF DONNE, SAYING: "Mainly why we're also here, is to protest the system, the failing system that Donald Trump represents, the system that has allowed him to come to power - which is aâ€¦ like a capitalist system in decline, which is clearly not working for the 99 percent, but which is clearly working very well for the 1 percent." PROTESTER HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "MELANIA, BLINK 2X IF YOU NEED HELP" RAINBOW BANNERS WITH WORDS PEACE, AND A GREENPEACE BANNER READING (English): "MAKE PEACE GREAT AGAIN" MASKED PROTESTERS HOLDING UP FLARE EMITTING BLUE SMOKE VARIOUS OF BLUE SMOKE SPREADING FROM UNDERNEATH VEHICLE MASKED PROTESTERS MARCHING, ONE HURLING WATER TOWARDS CAMERA PROTESTERS WALKING IN FRONT OF OLD APARTMENT BUILDINGS IN DOWNTOWN BRUSSELS PROTESTER IN FOUNTAIN WITH A PINOCCHIO NOSE AND HOLDING UP AN IMAGE OF TRUMP ALSO WITH A PINOCCHIO NOSE BAND PLAYING IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS MARCHING IN STREET
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 21:06
- Keywords: human rights 1 percent military Trump U.S. president protest demonstrators Brussels
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I79R2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY IN ONE OF THE PLACARDS (SHOT 20)
Thousands took to the streets on Wednesday (May 24), marching on a 4 km. (2.5-mile) route, after U.S. President Donald Trump arrived in Brussels for meetings with NATO members and European Union leaders.
Protesters, ranging from rights activists to students, professionals and even teens, slammed Trump and his policies such as the so-called Muslim ban and his plans to build a wall along the Mexican border. Many criticised Trump as a billionaire who only represented the 1 percent.
An activist camp has been in place in Brussels since Sunday (May 21) and will stay for a week, providing activists with a place to stay, cook, and organise their protest actions for Wednesday and Thursday (May 25), when the leaders of the 28 allied nations will meet at the new NATO headquarters where an unveiling ceremony is due to take place.
Activists in the 'Peace Camp' said NATO was not a solution to the problems faced by the region and were planning to intervene in a "non-violent" way in Thursday's discussions.
Trump is nearing the end of his nine-day overseas trip, his first foreign tour as president, and on Thursday evening will head to a G7 summit in Sicily.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None