- Title: Macron minister denies wrongdoing after disclosures by investigative newspaper
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FERRAND ARRIVING AT CABINET MEETING
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 11:33
- Keywords: Ferrand affair Emmanuel Macron France minister Richard Ferrand
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I77HON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Newly-appointed French Territorial Cohesion Minister Richard Ferrand denied on Wednesday (May 24) having committed any wrongdoing after recent allegations by satirical weekly newspaper "Le Canard Enchaine" over his past professional activities.
The newspaper reported that company "Mutuelles de Bretagne", a mutual fund based in Brittany and of which Ferrand was previously the director-general, rented out its premises in 2011 to a company owned by his partner. Canard Enchaine stated that these actions are not illegal.
Speaking to French broadcaster BFMTV, Ferrand said his actions were transparent and that the paper's article on him was a "welcome gift" following his nomination to the government of French President Emmanuel Macron.
The allegations come as a law on the moralisation of public life will be presented to the country's council of ministers before parliamentary elections are held on June 11 and 18.
"Le Canard Enchaine" was at the centre of the country's recent presidential election hitting defeated conservative candidate Francois Fillon with allegations he paid his family large sums of public money for minimal work.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None