- Title: Jakarta Muslims buy food, sweep tombs ahead of Ramadan
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (MAY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) MARKET SIGN READING (Bahasa Indonesia): 'MENTENG PULO MARKET" INTERIOR OF BUTCHERS VARIOUS OF BUTCHERS CHOPPING MEAT MEAT HANGING OUTDOOR MARKET ON STREET WOMAN SELLING CHILLIS PILE OF CHILLIS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) CUSTOMER, MASYITOH, SAYING: "I haven't seen any rise in prices, they're still normal. Maybe that's because Ramadan hasn't started yet, but if we were to prepare things exactly as Ramadan started, maybe prices would go up." WOMAN SELLING CHILIES CUSTOMER, MASYITOH, BUYING CHILIES CEMETERY'S ENTRANCE SIGN ON CEMETERY GATE READING (Bahasa Indonesia): "KARET PSR BARU PUBLIC CEMETERY" CROWDS OF PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH CEMETERY CEMETERY SIGN PEOPLE IN CEMETERY VARIOUS OF FAMILY PRAYING AROUND TOMB (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) CEMETERY VISITOR, MAMAH, SAYING: "We pray, we cite Surah (chapter in the Koran), we scatter flowers, and beg for forgiveness for their sins." MEN CLEARING, SWEEPING TOMB PEOPLE IN CEMETERY TOP OF MOSQUE MOSQUE CARETAKER PARNA SUMATRI SWEEPING MOSQUE SIGN READING (Bahasa Indonesia) "AL-ISTIQOMAH MOSQUE" VARIOUS OF SUMATRI SWEEPING FLOOR (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) MOSQUE CARETAKER, PARNA SUMATRI, SAYING: "Ahead of Ramadan, we clean the upper and lower levels of the mosque, because when Ramadan starts everything needs to be tidy. Every afternoon during Ramadan, we will also have snacks and have iftar (post-sunset meal) together." JAKARTA, INDONESIA (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) TRUCK ON ROAD SELLING HALF-PRICE SUBSIDIZED ITEMS PRICE LIST ON SIDE OF TRUCK MAN ON BACK OF TRUCK GIVING OUT ITEMS HANDS COUNTING MONEY CUSTOMER, SITI FATIMAH, BUYING FOOD MAN STACKING FOOD FATIMAH'S HANDS GETTING MONEY OUT OF PURSE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) CUSTOMER, SITI FATIMAH, SAYING: "We hope market prices will go down, especially during Ramadan when our expenses are high." VARIOUS OF WOMEN PICKING UP BAGS OF SUGAR
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 10:14
- Keywords: market preparation Ramadan Indonesia
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I764P1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Jakarta Muslims are preparing for the holy month of Ramadan by stocking up on food supplies before prices surge and visiting cemeteries to sweep deceased relatives' tombs.
People have started flocking to markets to gather supplies including sugar, cooking oil, flour and rice before prices sky rocket during Ramadan, when demands are especially high. Jakarta's government has also initiated food trucks that sell subsidized items at half price to poorer and more remote areas in the capital, helping to stabilize prices as Ramadan approaches.
Cemeteries around the capital are meanwhile crowded with families paying early respects to their deceased relatives, a tradition commonly performed as the holy month progresses.
Ramadan traditionally begins the morning after the sighting of the crescent moon, and ends with the Eid Al-Fitr festival.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None