- Title: Israel marks 50 years of "united Jerusalem", but city struggles
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: PICTURE OF JERUSALEM OLD CITY ON WALL
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 12:17
- Keywords: High Tech Ultra Orthodox Jews Tel Aviv Palestinians Jubilee Jerusalem Six Day War Israel
- Location: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056I76EYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Israel is pouring millions into its Jerusalem jubilee celebrations this month, marking five decades since it captured the eastern part of the city in the 1967 war.
For Israelis, the anniversary represents unification of the eternal capital Jews prayed for through 2,000 years of exile. For Palestinians East Jerusalem is a symbol of their national struggle, what they hope will be the capital of a future state.
Hopes and dreams aside - in reality, Jerusalem is plagued by poverty and high unemployment, driven by its two fastest-growing populations: Palestinians and ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Each year thousands of middle-class youngsters flee Jerusalem to find their future elsewhere, while the Palestinians lament decades of neglect and discrimination they say they suffer in their parts of the city.
Meanwhile, Israel is investing hundreds of millions of shekels to turn the tide and make the city more attractive.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.