- Title: Israel marks 50 years of "united Jerusalem", but city struggles
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (RECENT - MAY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY AS SEEN FROM MOUNT OF OLIVES DOME OF THE ROCK VARIOUS GV'S OF JERUSALEM OLD CITY PEOPLE WALKING PAST OLD CITY HEROD'S GATE ISRAELI POLICE PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH OLD CITY ALLEYWAY ORTHODOX JEW WALKING WHILE READING PRAYER BOOK JERUSALEM (RECENT) (REUTERS) VIEW OF DENSELY POPULATED EAST JERUSALEM NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SILWAN WITH OLD CITY WALLS AND DOME OF THE ROCK IN THE BACKGROUND ISRAELI FLAGS FLYING ON ROOFTOP OF ISRAELI SETTLER HOME TOP VIEW OF SILWAN VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN BARBER, YOUSSEF QARAIN, HANGING TOWELS OUTSIDE HIS SHOP CLOSE OF QARAIN SHAVING CLIENT'S BEARD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) 73-YEAR-OLD PALESTINIAN BARBER, YOUSSEF QARAIN, SAYING: "We would raise a white handkerchief, a white piece of paper and they left us alone. We lived and we keep on living our lives."
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 12:17
- Keywords: High Tech Ultra Orthodox Jews Tel Aviv Palestinians Jubilee Jerusalem Six Day War Israel
- Location: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I76EYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Israel is pouring millions into its Jerusalem jubilee celebrations this month, marking five decades since it captured the eastern part of the city in the 1967 war.
For Israelis, the anniversary represents unification of the eternal capital Jews prayed for through 2,000 years of exile. For Palestinians East Jerusalem is a symbol of their national struggle, what they hope will be the capital of a future state.
Hopes and dreams aside - in reality, Jerusalem is plagued by poverty and high unemployment, driven by its two fastest-growing populations: Palestinians and ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Each year thousands of middle-class youngsters flee Jerusalem to find their future elsewhere, while the Palestinians lament decades of neglect and discrimination they say they suffer in their parts of the city.
Meanwhile, Israel is investing hundreds of millions of shekels to turn the tide and make the city more attractive.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None