- Title: Israelis celebrate Jerusalem Day under tight security
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELIS MARCHING TOWARDS DAMASCUS GATE OF THE OLD CITY, WAVING ISRAELI FLAGS IN CELEBRATION OF JERUSALEM DAY ISRAELI FLAG WAVING AT DAMASCUS GATE VARIOUS OF ISRAELIS MARCHING THROUGH JERUSALEM OLD CITY'S DAMASCUS GATE MORE OF JERUSALEM DAY MARCH VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS CHANTING BEHIND FENCES AGAINST JERUSALEM DAY MARCH, ISRAELI POLICEMEN AND BORDER POLICEMEN STANDING IN FRONT OF PROTEST HELICOPTER PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS CHANTING ISRAELI POLICE CHIEF, RONI ALSHEIKH AT DAMASCUS GATE MORE OF MARCHERS BORDER POLICE WOMAN LOOKING AT MARCH FROM JERUSALEM OLD CITY WALL MORE OF MARCHERS VARIOUS OF ISRAELIS DANCING DURING MARCH
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 18:59
- Keywords: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Jerusalem day Palestinians protesting Israelis marching
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I76FRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several thousands of Israelis marched through Jerusalem's old city alleyways to the Western Wall on Wednesday (May 24), waving Israeli flags to commemorate the 50th year of the establishment of Israeli control over the city after the 1967 six-day war.
Dozens of Palestinians protested against the march but were kept away from the celebrations by Israeli police.
Earlier on Wednesday, Israeli policemen and border policemen manhandled protesters and onlookers away from the Damascus Gate to open the space for the Israeli celebratants.
Israel seized East Jerusalem and the West Bank from Jordan in 1967 and later annexed East Jerusalem and declared the whole of Jerusalem as its capital in a move not recognised internationally.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None