- Title: Georgia celebrates Independence Day with military parade
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: TBILISI, GEORGIA (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) INDEPENDENCE SQUARE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS AT PARADE
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 14:50
- Keywords: independence day Georgia
- Location: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- City: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH573T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The residents of Georgia marked the country's Independence Day on Friday (May 26) with a military parade in capital Tbilisi and various festivities across the country.
Georgian troops marched in a parade held on Tbilisi's Freedom Square as crowds looked on and cheered.
Military hardware was put on display during the celebrations, garnering the fascination of children on Freedom Square.
The celebration dates back to May 26, 1918 when Georgia declared its independence from Russia. In 1922 it was taken over by the Soviet Union and regained its independence again after the USSR's dissolution in 1991.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.