- Title: Georgia celebrates Independence Day with military parade
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: PEOPLE ENTERING FREEDOM SQUARE VARIOUS OF CHILDREN CLIMBING MILITARY HARDWARE (SOUNDBITE) (Georgian) TBILISI RESIDENT, VANO NADIRADZE, SAYING: "This day symbolises a lot of thins for us. This is the day of freedom, of independence, a future for our children and for us, this is the country's unity, this is everything that can make us Georgians happy - all of it is symbolised by this day." GIRL WITH GEORGIAN FLAG MAN TAKING PICTURE / BOYS ON MILITARY HARDWARE (SOUNDBITE) (Georgian) TBILISI RESIDENT, LIYA MIMINOSHVILI, SAYING: "I wish Georgia to be united, whole and us to be free in a united country."
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 14:50
- Keywords: independence day Georgia
- Location: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- City: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046IH573T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The residents of Georgia marked the country's Independence Day on Friday (May 26) with a military parade in capital Tbilisi and various festivities across the country.
Georgian troops marched in a parade held on Tbilisi's Freedom Square as crowds looked on and cheered.
Military hardware was put on display during the celebrations, garnering the fascination of children on Freedom Square.
The celebration dates back to May 26, 1918 when Georgia declared its independence from Russia. In 1922 it was taken over by the Soviet Union and regained its independence again after the USSR's dissolution in 1991.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None