- Title: Two-week hunger strike in Japan immigration detention ends
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - 2015) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF THE TOKYO IMMIGRATION CENTER MAIN ENTRANCE OF THE CENTER SIGN READING (Japanese and English): "TOKYO REGIONAL IMMIGRATION BUREAU INSPECTION DEPARTMENT ENTRANCE" VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF THE TOKYO IMMIGRATION CENTER DETENTION CENTRE HALLWAY DETENTION CENTRE COMMUNAL SPACE SEEN FROM WINDOW OF GUARDS' OFFICE GUARDS REFLECTED IN WINDOW CELL DOORS SHELVES OUTSIDE CELLS DETAINEES WALKING OUT OF CELLS EXTERIOR OF THE TOKYO IMMIGRATION CENTER NATIONAL FLAG OF JAPAN AND IMMIGRATION BUREAU FLAG FLAPPING IN THE WIND GUARD STANDING BY IMMIGRATION BUREAU/DETENTION CENTRE ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 10:15
- Keywords: hunger strikes in detention centre ends human rights immigration detention centre Japan
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IC5U85
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Foreign inmates protesting prolonged detention and poor medical care in Japanese immigration centres ended their two-week hunger strike, with the government signaling no change in policy, activists said on Thursday (May 25).
At total of 100 men held at the several regional Immigration Bureaux launched a hunger strike on May 9 to object against repeated detentions and inhumane treatment, but had ended on Wednesday (May 24) after they had reached their physical limits.
Despite hunger strike, Shoichi Ibusuki, a lawyer of Provisional Release Association in Japan, said the authorities have so far done little to improve conditions inside immigration detention centres, raising fears that similar incidents can happen again.
Over the two weeks on strike, at least four detainees were briefly hospitalised, including one of whom swallowed a razor blade that was later extracted, a lawmaker briefed by immigration officials said.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None