- Title: Young person killed as clashes rage in Zulia
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: MEDIC DOING CPR ON INJURED DEMONSTRATOR DEMONSTRATORS CARRYING FELLOW INJURED DEMONSTRATOR ZULIA, VENEZUELA (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) RELATIVE OF ADRIAN DUQUE, THE YOUNG PROTESTER KILLED IN THE CLASHES, CRYING FORENSIC VEHICLE LEAVING GARAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SISTER OF YOUNG PERSON KILLED IN PROTESTS, ANDREA DUQUE, SAYING: "He wanted to leave this blessed government - so as not to say another word - he wanted to help, wanted to play his part and my father said 'Adrian it is dangerous' and he told me nothing will happen to me, nothing will happen to me - until it happened." ZULIA, VENEZUELA (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS AMID TEAR GAS SCHOOLCHILDREN BEING PUT INTO CARS AS THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF SCHOOL, PARENTS RUNNING, AS CLASHES RAGE NEARBY SCHOOLCHILDREN AND PARENTS RUNNING TOWARD SAFETY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, JEFERSON LOPEZ, SAYING: "It was very ugly. The National Guard came, a tank came, rhinos arrived, whales did not ["rhinos" and "whales" refer to different vehicles that the National Guard use in the protests]. There were many people here. They began to throw tear gas around everywhere, there were youngsters here. Over there, there was an apartment where the tear gas that they threw caught on fire."
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 17:48
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro crisis opposition death injured
- Location: ZULIA, VENEZUELA
- City: ZULIA, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0036IC8H1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT INCLUDES GRAPHIC IMAGES OF INJURED PROTESTERS BLEEDING
A 24-year-old accountant became one of the latest victims of ongoing violence that has consumed Venezuela in recent weeks, bring the death toll from protest-related clashes to 56.
Adrian Duque was killed during raging clashes in the northwestern state of Zulia on Wednesday (May 24). He was unresponsive when rushed to the Chiquinquira Hospital where doctors found a small unidentified object lodged in his abdomen.
Authorities said it is not clear who is responsible for firing the object that killed Duque.
His sister Andrea, said he had been committed to the demos.
Duque died as clashes continued for hours, starting in the afternoon and extending well into the night.
Parents rushed their children out of school amid a haze of tear gas.
The ongoing protests come as the pro-government electoral council said on Tuesday (May 23) that voting for a controversial "constituent assembly" would be held in July and delayed state elections in December.
Maduro foes countered that was a sham designed to confuse Venezuelans, and to prompt infighting among the opposition and allow the unpopular leftist government to dodge free and fair elections they would likely lose.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None