- Title: Venezuelan opposition protesters clash with security forces
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF WATER CANNON VEHICLE SHOOTING HOSE OF WATER FROM FLYOVER TOWARDS PROTESTERS BELOW PROTESTERS BEING KNOCKED OVER BY POWER OF WATER CANON GENERAL VIEW OF WATER CANON FROM FLY OVER DIRECTED TOWARDS GROUP OF PROTESTERS TAKING SHELTER BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELDS PROTESTER JUMPING OVER WATER CANON AND MAKING SIGNALS TO PROVOKE RIOT POLICE WITH GROUP OF PROTESTERS GATHERED TO HIS SIDE TWO PROTESTERS HUDDLED TOGETHER BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELDS, SHIELD ON THE RIGHT READS "NO MORE DICTATORSHIP" WATER CANON FROM FLYOVER DIRECTED TOWARDS RUNNING PROTESTERS BELOW WATER CANON DIRECTED AT PROTESTERS HIDING BEHIND BARRIERS AND USING MAKESHIFT SHIELDS AND SIGNS TO PROTECT THEMSELVES PROTESTERS ON MOTORCYCLES BACKING AWAY FROM ENCROACHING POLICE OFFICERS COMING IN WITH WATER CANON VEHICLE, TEAR GAS CANISTERS SEEN FLYING IN THE AIR ABOVE MASKED PROTESTERS WEARING HELMETS GATHERED BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELDS RIOT POLICE HUDDLED BEHIND SHIELDS IN FLYOVER, TEAR GAS CANISTER THROWN BACK AT POLICE, OFFICER KICKS AWAY TEAR GAS CANISTER WATER CANON VEHICLE BEING DRIVEN ON EMPTY HIGHWAY AMIDST STREAMS OF TEAR GAS COMING FROM TEAR GAS CANISTERS LYING ON THE GROUND WATER CANON VEHICLE BEING DRIVEN ON FLYOVER WITH PROTESTERS SEEN BELOW PROTESTERS IN MIDDLE OF ROAD, ONE PROTESTER WITH VENEZUELAN FLAG AND ANOTHER HIDING BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELD PAINTED WITH VENEZUELAN FLAG COLOURS GENERAL VIEW OF TEAR GAS CANISTERS BEING THROWN LAUNCHED IN THE AIR AT PROTEST SCENE RIOT POLICE GATHERED BEHIND SHIELDS BY BARRIER ON FLYOVER, TO THE RIGHT OF FLYOVER READS GRAFFITI MESSAGE "DICTATOR" GENERAL VIEW OF RIOT POLICE BREAKING LINE AFTER TEAR GAS CANISTER IS THROWN BACK AT THEM FROM PROTESTERS GATHERED BELOW TEAR GAS CANISTER COMING DOWN ON PROTESTERS WEARING HELMETS TEAR GAS CANISTERS WHIZZING THROUGH THE AIR AT PROTEST SCENE RIOT POLICE GATHERED AROUND INJURED COLLEAGUE PROTESTER THROWING BACK TEAR GAS CANISTER AS ANOTHER COMES DOWN GENERAL VIEW OF OFFICERS GENERAL VIEW OF BUILDINGS WITH VENEZUELAN FLAG WAVING AND IN THE BACKGROUND A BILLBOARD WITH IMAGE OF JAILED OPPOSITION LEADER LEOPOLDO LOPEZ WITH HASHTAG "LIBERTY NOW" GENERAL VIEW OF EMPTY HIGHWAY WHERE PROTEST TOOK PLACE
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 00:16
- Keywords: tear gas National Guard clashes protests Nicolas Maduro opposition Venezuela
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH8V2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Anti-government protesters in Venezuela's capital clashed with National Guard security officials on Friday (May 26), in heated scenes after seven weeks of widespread demonstrations against leftist president Nicolas Maduro.
The armed forces' National Guard unit has played a pivotal role in the unrest rocking Venezuela. During Friday's protest, riot police armed with a water cannon and tear gas canisters rained down on protesters with makeshift shields from a flyover in the capital.
At least 57 people have been killed, including one National Guard member and two policemen.
Decried by protesters as "murderers" defending a dictator, Venezuela's military insisted on Thursday (May 25) it was not taking sides in the national political turmoil, though it did back socialist President Nicolas Madder's controversial plan for a new congress.
The military defended its record during the protests, in which Maduro opponents have staged daily demonstrations demanding elections, humanitarian aid to offset a brutal economic crisis, and freedom for jailed activists.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None