- Title: Fifteen wounded in Egypt attack taken to Cairo
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT ENTRANCE TO NASSER INSTITUTE HOSPITAL SECURITY MAN STANDING AMONG CROWD OF PEOPLE AMBULANCE DRIVING ALONG ROAD AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT SURROUNDED BY CROWD OF PEOPLE PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND AMBULANCE WOUNDED WOMAN CARRIED ON STRETCHER AND TAKEN TO HOSPITAL BY PARAMEDICS FAMILY MEMBER OF ONE OF THE WOUNDED SAYING (Arabic): "I WANT TO DIE" RELATIVES OF WOUNDED STANDING OUTSIDE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT ANOTHER AMBULANCE ARRIVING VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERING AROUND AMBULANCE DOOR WOUNDED WOMAN CARRIED ON STRETCHER AND TAKEN TO HOSPITAL BY PARAMEDICS PEOPLE WAITING OUTSIDE EMERGENCY ROOM FAMILIES WAITING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL ANOTHER AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND AMBULANCE DOOR CROWD STANDING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 18:17
- Keywords: Saint Samuel the Confessor in Minya province monastery in southern Egypt Coptic Christians gunmen attack bus
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH83EV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ambulances transported wounded people to Cairo on Friday (May 26) after they were attacked by masked gunmen in southern Egypt.
The attack against a group of Coptic Christians that killed 28 and left 24 wounded with many children among the victims, took place on a road leading to the monastery of Saint Samuel the Confessor in Minya province, which is home to a sizeable Christian minority.
One of the vehicles attacked was taking men to carry out maintenance work at the monastery while another was carrying children, officials said.
Relatives gathered at Nasser Institute Hospital in Cairo expressed anger over the frequency of deadly attacks against Copts.
About 70 have been killed since last December in bombings claimed by Islamic State at churches in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Tanta in a campaign of violence against the Copts.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the holy month of Ramadan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None