- Title: Clashes break out during artists' march in Caracas
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ARTEAGA PLAYING AT PROTEST
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 01:23
- Keywords: protest Caracas Maduro violinst clash
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0086IM6EDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Clashes broke out once again in Venezuela Saturday (May 27), this time during an opposition march organised by the media and arts sectors coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the closing of an anti-government television station, Radio Caracas Television (RCTV).
As has become a norm during the Venezuelan crisis, musicians performed in the protest to provide an alternative ambience to the surrounding chaos.
Reports on casualties are yet to be finalised, but footage showed injured protesters being carried away from the skirmishes, marked by tear gas and water cannon.
Back in 2007, the government of then Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez, who was Maduro's mentor, chose not to renew RCTV's license after 53 years on the air because of accusations that the broadcaster participated in a bungled 2002 coup against Chavez.
Maduro calls the ongoing protests a violent effort to overthrow his government, and he insists the country is a victim of an "economic war" led by adversaries with the help of Washington.
The demonstrations have killed at least 58 people so far.
Venezuelan violinist, Willy Arteaga, brought his instrument to the Saturday protest. As he performed, he explained to Reuters that he was playing on a new violin that was given to him as a gift after the Venezuelan National Guard destroyed his own instrument.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.