- Title: Peace activists protest annexation of East Jerusalem 50 years ago
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: MAN CHANTING AND HOLDING SIGN AGAINST ANNEXATION OF JERUSALEM 50 YEARS AGO RALLY IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL RELATIONS AT PEACE NOW ORGANISATION, ANAT BEN NUN, SAYING: "We are here to protest 50 years of Israeli occupation. While the Israeli government is trying to silence us, we are here to prove that we will not be silenced. When the government is celebrating 50 years to the reunification of Jerusalem and the liberation of the territories, we know that this is a lie. We are here to show that there is a majority among the public who support a two-state solution and is willing to fight against the occupation." PEOPLE HOLDING SIGNS AND BALLOONS DURING RALLY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT EVENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI OPPOSITION LEADER, ISAAC HERZOG, SAYING: "This is a very important rally of the peace camp in Israel. We believe that there is a golden opportunity following President Trump's (U.S. President, Donald Trump) visit to the region, to move forward towards a two-state solution in security and in peace. This is what we are gathered here for tonight, the hope is for two states." ACTIVISTS CHANTING AND PLAYING DRUMS DURING RALLY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT RALLY MAN ADDRESSING CROWD AT RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (English) RETIRED COLONEL FROM ISRAELI AIR FORCE, YONATHAN LERNER, SAYING: "When we were 19 years old, it was the 67 war (in 1967) and we were sure it is only a matter of time before we will reach some agreement with our neighbours and we are very frustrated and we are minority and we hope that something will bring the people out and that was what we hope to do here. I still have a hope and I hope that I will see it during my life."
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 20:44
- Keywords: Peace Now people protest rally in Tel Aviv Peace activists
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IM64W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several thousand peace activists and Israelis from left-wing parties rallied in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv on Saturday (May 27) in support of peace with the Palestinians.
During the rally that was attended by the Israeli opposition leader, Isaac Herzog, participants called for peace and chanted against what they called it the "Israeli occupation" of East Jerusalem 50 years ago, when Israel took control over the city after the 1967 six-day war.
Protesters were seen waving Palestinian and Israeli flags together as a symbol for peace.
Israel seized East Jerusalem and the West Bank from Jordan in 1967 and later annexed East Jerusalem and declared the whole of Jerusalem as its capital in a move not recognised internationally.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None