- Title: Scuffles break out at anti-G7 protest
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE PUSHING BACK DEMONSTRATORS / TEAR GAS FIRED / PEOPLE RUNNING ONTO NEARBY BEACH PEOPLE ON BEACH AND ROAD / TEAR GAS
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 17:22
- Keywords: protests Giardini Naxos G7 summit Italy
- Location: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- City: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM4VUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police used tear gas on demonstrators at an anti-G7 protest in Giardini in Italy on Saturday (May 27).
U.S. President Donald Trump and the heads of Italy, France, Britain, Germany, Canada and Japan had been meeting in Taormina, which sits on a rocky hilltop just north of Giardini Naxos.
Demonstrators were protesting against world leaders who they said ignored the interests of common people.
Some 3,500 people were expected to turn up, but actual turnout appeared to be about half of that.
Shopkeepers boarded up windows and complained about lost business.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None