- Title: Barcelona coach and his Alaves counterpart speak after King's Cup final
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MAY 28, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) BARCELONA COACH LUIS ENRIQUE ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH LUIS ENRIQUE SAYING: "It's from everyone (King's Cup title), we are a big family with a lot of persons helping the players to improve their performance. When we achieve a title and we can celebrate it and dedicate it to the numerous fans that came to support us, it's a great happiness and it means that we have done things right. On these competition, we have had a flawless performance during this three years." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH LUIS ENRIQUE SAYING: "There is no sadness at all, full happiness because in fact it was me who decided is better to stop, I think it will be great for me and for the players and the team too. With the intensity, this profession is lived and how I understand it giving the maximum every day it wears us but I have no sadness at all, on the contrary. If someone have told me when I came to Barcelona that I was going to be able to help my team and being part of 9 of 13 titles we have played. I think they are very good numbers." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH LUIS ENRIQUE SAYING: "He is extraordinary (Lionel Messi) he is an extraterrestrial, only because the things he does on the pitch, how we dribble players and the superiority he gives us in each play of the game and how we put the team on his back. Well I have had the pleasure of enjoy of the best Messi, of fullness on his game and of very top performances. He's the number one without a doubt, as we have said and as his performance tells. It has been a real pleasure. " NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS CLOSE OF LUIS ENRIQUE'S FACE LISTENING QUESTION LUIS ENRIQUE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM JOURNALIST TYPING DEPORTIVO ALAVES COACH MAURICIO PELLEGRINO ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEPORTIVO ALAVES COACH MAURICIO PELLEGRINO SAYING: "It's a mixed feeling because the disappointment of the result, we had the hope of being able to do something else but also a grateful feeling to my players not only for this match but the whole year we have done, and being here is the consequence of that. Then to the fans, I think they have absorbed what this teams gives them every week and today we have lived an incredible day with our people and I will never forget it." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEPORTIVO ALAVES COACH MAURICIO PELLEGRINO SAYING: "It's a player (Messi) that really makes the difference on the little spaces that modern football gives. He has the capacity of either pass or finish the play, or make an accurate pass at high speed. So yeah, it's an extraordinary player." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS CLOSE OF PELLEGRINO'S FACE AT NEWS CONFERENCE PELLEGRINO LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM BARCELONA COACH LUIS ENRIQUE AND MIDFIELDER SERGIO BUSQUETS PASSING BY MIX ZONE BARCELONA CAPTAIN ANDRES INIESTA ARRIVING AT MIX ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN ANDRES INIESTA SAYING: "I think it has been very positive (Luis Enrique as coach). On the sensations, on the titles we have got. When he came, titles came on a difficult moment because we came from a very bad year. Then we keep winning, keep achieving titles and that's the difficulty, to keep winning and this team has done it again. Next year we will try it again with new people, with people that will not be here anymore but that's the challenge, to keep winning." BARCELONA DEFENDER JAVIER MASCHERANO PASSING BY MIX ZONE LEFT BACK JORDI ALBA AT MIX ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA LEFT BACK JORDI ALBA SAYING: "Leo (Messi) makes the difference as always and gives us the plus that a team like Barcelona needs. So we are pleased with the best of the world." BARCELONA GOALKEEPER MARC ANDRE TER STEGEN PASSING BY MIX ZONE
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 01:36
- Keywords: final King's Cup Barcelona sport football
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IR44SF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: FC Barcelona coach Luis Enrique expressed on Saturday (May 27) his gratitude for being able to call upon "extra-terrestrial" Lionel Messi while at the peak of his powers over his three years as Barca coach, which ended with a 3-1 win over Alaves to win the King's Cup at the Vicente Calderon stadium.
Deportivo Alaves coach, Mauricio Pellegrino, said he was disappointed because of the result but he was grateful with his team for the season and with the Basque side fans which supported the team until the last minute.
Luis Enrique said he had no regrets about announcing his decision to leave the club back in March.
Messi scored the opening goal of Barca's third successive Cup triumph under Luis Enrique and played a crucial role in the strikes from Neymar and Paco Alcacer which finished off the Basque minnows.
Luis Enrique is Barca's third most decorated coach of all time with nine trophies behind Johan Cruyff (11) and Pep Guardiola (14), who also ended his time in charge by lifting the King's Cup.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None