- Title: Eurovision winner arrvies home in Portugal
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: LISBON, PORTUGAL (MAY 14, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF EUROVISION SONG CONTEST WINNER SALVADOR SOBRAL AND HIS SISTER LUISA SOBRAL ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST TROPHY, SALVADOR SOBRAL TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) EUROVISION SONG CONTEST WINNER, SALVADOR SOBRAL, SAYING: "We will have the Eurovision Song Contest here next year and I think that will deliver a good contribution not only for culture but also for tourism, from what I see there in Kiev. I know that it will require a lot of money and for that I ask, sorry to (national broadcaster) RTP, but I think it will pay off." SALVADOR SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) EUROVISION SONG CONTEST WINNER, SALVADOR SOBRAL, SAYING: "I had moments and they know, that I felt like I was prostituting my name for being there because I don't have anything to do with that (Eurovision contest). What am I doing here? Then what brought me back was thinking that we are in a musical mission. It's a bit arrogant but I don't care, the song is so special so beautiful with emotion, because songs now are empty, completely empty, and ours had a message." PEOPLE WAITING FOR SALVADOR SOBRAL AT AIRPORT SIGN READING (Portuguese) "Salvador you made my childhood dream come true" (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) SALVADOR SOBRAL FAN, MARIA CLARA, SAYING: "I am very emotional, I cannot explain what I am feeling, Salvador made my childhood dream come true, when I was a child I always had the dream to see our country winning the contest and it never happened and now with almost 50 years I saw it and I'm very happy, very happy." (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) SALVADOR SOBRAL FAN, VIRGILIO JESUS, SAYING: "My mother always told me that Eurovision was part of her life and she passed that onto me and it's a dream being here. The Eurovision is a worldwide show that brings us the feeling of community of being all together." (SOUNDBITE) (German) UNIDENTIFIED EUROVISION FAN, SAYING: "I watch the Eurovision Song Contest every year, and this year I found it particularly good because I'm in Lisbon and Portugal won which is fascinating."
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 18:44
- Keywords: homecoming winner Salvador Sobral Lisbon Portugal Eurovision Song Contest
- Location: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- City: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Country: Portugal
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GT94JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Portuguese Eurovision fans gave a hero's welcome on Sunday (May 14) to the winner of the 2017 song contest Salvador Sobral. Sobral won the competition on Saturday (May 13) performing a jazz-style ballad written by his sister, taking the top spot for the first time in the country's history.
The 27 year-old singer held a news conference at the airport in which he expressed his doubts over his decision to take part in the contest, admitting he has not been a fan of Eurovision in the past.
More than 100 fans gathered at Lisbon airport to sing his winning song "Amar pelos dois" and receive Sobral, who was escorted through the crowds by police.
Sobral said he hopes Portugal's hosting of the event in 2018 will help to boost tourism in the country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None