- Title: OSCE observers inspect shelled houses in eastern Ukraine
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: AVDIYIVKA, UKRAINE (MAY 14, 2017) (REUTERS) MEMBERS OF OSCE MONITORING MISSION IN EASTERN UKRAINE AND UKRAINIAN SERVICEMEN GETTING OUT OF CARS OSCE OBSERVERS AND SERVICEMAN WALKING TOWARDS DAMAGED HOUSE VARIOUS OF HOUSE WITH DAMAGED ROOF, COURTYARD COVERED WITH RUBBLE OSCE MISSION MEMBER TAKING PICTURES AND WALKING AWAY RUBBLE ON GROUND OSCE MISSION MEMBERS ON SITE HOLES IN WALL DAMAGED BICYCLE AND WOODEN BENCH ON GROUND DAMAGED BICYCLE WHEEL VARIOUS OF OSCE OBSERVER PLACING COMPASS ON GROUND WOMAN TALKING TO OSCE MISSION MEMBERS DAMAGED CHILDREN'S SWING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) AVDIYIVKA RESIDENT, TATYANA, SAYING: "We ran immediately to call an ambulance. (JOURNALIST ASKING OFF CAMERA: "WHAT DID YOU SEE THERE?") People were lying under the rubble. It was a horrible sight." RUBBLE IN COURTYARD KIEV, UKRAINE (MAY 14, 2017) (REUTERS) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, PETRO POROSHENKO, WALKING TO PODIUM MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, PETRO POROSHENKO, SAYING: "We underline a necessity of framing and approving the road map of the Minsk process - what and when should happen. I am sure that we will find understanding, compromise, and enough arguments for the Russian Federation so that this road map is presented. The only side which hampers it is Russia. We cannot see any constructive steps. Moreover, horrible events are happening, including those which took place yesterday." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, PETRO POROSHENKO, SAYING: "We cannot reach peace, which I want to achieve most of all, just because Putin doesn't want and doesn't plan to implement the Minsk agreements. But Minsk agreements allow us to show to the entire world who is to blame for this. Minsk agreements allow us to go to the court, bring criminals to responsibility, including the international one. Minsk agreements allow us to reach a result when Russia will pay the price for violation of the Minsk agreements according to the international law." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, PETRO POROSHENKO, SAYING: "I don't see any necessity to organize a forceful evacuation. Why? If we are running away from shelling, the firing range of weaponry owned by the Russian forces today, Tornado multiple missile launchers exceeds 130-140 km. Where to evacuate then? I believe we need to act the opposite way - to stop fire. I would like my idea of deployment of peacekeepers to be supported. They (Russians) got scared when they saw that peacemakers idea started to receive some support." MEDIA POROSHENKO ENDING NEWS CONFERENCE AND WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 17:35
- Keywords: news conference Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko pro-Russian rebels shelling conflict east Ukraine
- Location: AVDIYIVKA AND KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: AVDIYIVKA AND KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GT8IFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Monitors on Sunday (May 14) inspected a household in the eastern Ukrainian town of Avdiyivka which was damaged by artillery fire a day earlier.
Members of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) monitoring mission inspected the attack site and spoke with local residents who witnessed the incident.
Ukrainian authorities said on Saturday (May 13) that four civilians were killed in renewed artillery attacks in the east of the country which they blamed on pro-Russian separatists.
Shelling continues in eastern Ukraine despite a ceasefire agreement signed in February 2015 in Minsk that aims to end the conflict between Ukrainian government forces and the rebels. Each side accuses the other of violating the truce.
Fighting between the pro-Russian separatists and government forces first broke out in April 2014 after a pro-European uprising in Kiev ousted Ukraine's Moscow-backed president. About 10,000 people have been killed in the three-year conflict.
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko on Sunday blamed Russia's President Vladimir Putin for non-fulfillment of the Minsk agreements.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None