- Title: Iraqi forces advance into Mosul's Old City
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: AL-SHIFA DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) ARMOURED VEHICLE OF FEDERAL POLICE ON RUBBLED STREET FIRING FEDERAL POLICE MEMBER FIRING MACHINE GUN FROM TOP OF ARMOURED VEHICLE (AUDIO OF HEAVY GUN FIRE) FEDERAL POLICE MEMBER STANDING AMONG SCATTERED RUBBLE FIRING MACHINE-GUN (AUDIO OF HEAVY GUN FIRE) FEDERAL POLICE MEMBERS STANDING NEAR THEIR VEHICLE, ONE POURING WATER ON ENGINE OF VEHICLE TO COOL OFF FEDERAL POLICE MEMBERS STANDING BEHIND EARTH EMBANKMENT COMMANDER OF ELITE SPECIAL FORCE DIVISION OF FEDERAL POLICE, BRIGADIER GENERAL KHALAF BADRAN SHAKING HANDS WITH JOURNALIST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMMANDER OF ELITE SPECIAL FORCE DIVISION OF FEDERAL POLICE, BRIGADIER GENERAL KHALAF BADRAN, SAYING: "The enemy is weakening, has started to retreat inside the Old City, it is taking advantage of the difficult terrain of the city and its narrow alleyways and is using civilians as human shields, trapping them inside the Old City to protect itself. The enemy thinks that it can survive in this way, but this is mere delusion. We have our tactics and plans and God willing we will recapture the western side of Mosul soon." DEMOLISHED BUILDINGS AND HEAPS OF RUBBLE IRAQI POLICE SEARCHING ABANDONED SHOP IRAQI POLICE MEMBER RUNNING ALONG STREET FULL OF HEAPS OF RUBBLE VARIOUS OF ARMOURED VEHICLE STANDING NEAR DEMOLISHED HOUSES AND HEAPS OF RUBBLE AND FIRING (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) IRAQI HUMVEE DRIVING ALONG STREET LITTERED WITH RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 13:04
- Keywords: Old City in Mosul Iraqi federal police Al Shifa district Armoured vehicles in Mosul
- Location: SOUTH OF OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: SOUTH OF OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW5PHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi armed forces pushed towards Mosul's Old City on Monday (May 29) aiming to capture the last Islamic State-held enclave in the centre and three adjacent districts along the western bank of the Tigris river according to a military statement.
The offensive coincides with the start of the holy fasting month of Ramadan and its prime target is the medieval al-Nuri mosque, where Islamic State's black flag has been flying since mid-2014.
Iraqi armed forces hope to capture the mosque - where Baghdadi announced the "caliphate" - in the next few days.
Days into a new push by U.S.-backed Iraqi government troops, up to 200,000 civilians in parts of Mosul held by Islamic State are struggling to get food, water and medicine, the United Nations said late on Sunday (May 28).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None