- Title: Argentina Foreign Minister Malcorra resigns
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (FILE - AUGUST 8, 2016) (REUTERS) THEN-ARGENTINE FOREIGN MINISTER SUSANA MALCORRA AND THEN-UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY GENERAL BAN KI-MOON ARRIVING AT SAN MARTIN PLAZA VIEW FROM BEHIND OF MALCORRA AND BAN WALKING UP RED CARPET VARIOUS OF MALCORRA AND BAN WALKING UP RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 20:53
- Keywords: Mauricio Macri Jorge Faurie Argentine Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW6JIB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Argentine Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra resigned on Monday (May 29) and will move to Madrid to be closer to her family, President Mauricio Macri said.
Argentina's ambassador to France, Jorge Faurie, will be the new foreign minister and Malcorra will continue as an adviser to the government from afar.
Faurie, a lawyer, has served as a diplomat for four decades and was briefly vice foreign minister in 2002, according to a resume sent by the government.
Malcorra, a businesswoman and diplomat who ran to be secretary general of the United Nations last year, led Macri's center-right administration's efforts to boost diplomatic and trade ties with the United States and other Western countries after years of tense relations under former President Cristina Fernandez.
Malcorra is the second minister to leave Macri's government since he took office in December 2015, following former Finance Minister Alfonso Prat-Gay, who was asked to resign late last year.
Under Malcorra, Argentina has taken a particularly harsh line toward Venezuela, accusing Maduro of violating democratic norms. Argentina and other members of regional trade bloc Mercosur suspended Venezuela from the group last year, and Malcorra has supported a push by the Organization of American States to increase pressure on Maduro.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.