- Title: Patti Cake$ celebrate film's standing ovation at Cannes
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) RAPPER DEEN BURBIGO ON STAGE AT DIRECTORS' FORTNIGHT CLOSING PARTY, WITH PATTI CAKE$ TEAM INCLUDING BRIDGET EVERETT AND CATHY MORIARTY WATCHING VARIOUS OF PATTI CAKE$ DIRECTOR GEREMY JASPER AND TEAM FROM FILM INCLUDING ACTORS BRIDGET EVERETT, CATHY MORIARTY AND DANIELLE MACDONALD DANCING PATTI CAKE$ STARS CATHY MORIARTY AND DANIELLE MACDONALD JOINING IN AND CHEERING CROWD AT PARTY DANIELLE MACDONALD AND SIDHARTH DHANANJAY ON STAGE WITH AUDIENCE CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 17:44
- Keywords: film festival Cannes Danielle Macdonald Bridget Everett Sidharth Dhananjay Cathy Moriarty Patti Cake$
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM5QOD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: From a lost suitcase - to a standing ovation - to getting on stage with a French rapper - the 'Patti Cake$' team lived Cannes to the full.
After their film closed this year's Directors' Fortnight the team headed to the closing party, where there were free cocktails and glasses of champagne on hand as well as a performance by French rapper Deen Burbigo.
Makes sense when you know that 'Patti Cake$' is the story of an aspiring rapper, played by Danielle Macdonald. She and he co-star Sidharth Dhananjay got into the spirit of things, at one point joining Burbigo on stage - while the rest of the cast and director Geremy Jasper enjoyed themselves at the front of the stage.
"Patti Cake$" is a bittersweet comedy about Patricia Dombrowski, a plus-size white girl from New Jersey, who goes by the aliases Killa P and Patti Cake$ and dreams that a flair for rapping will be her ticket out of poverty.
The film received rave reviews at Sundance in January, and the cast got a standing ovation following the screening on Friday (May 26) night in Cannes.
'I am feeling really relieved', Macdonald told Reuters afterwards, adding 'when you have a reaction like that it means the world.'
With New Jersey working class swagger and a genuine musical talent, Macdonald's performance is all the more remarkable as she is not only not from Jersey - she is Australian - and had never rapped before.
"While there's a bit of a far-fetched fairy tale aspect to it, (director Geremy) Jasper wraps it all up with a high-octane finale that leaves you wanting to see more of Patti and, more realistically, of Macdonald, whose talent is all but staggering," wrote Hollywood Reporter critic Todd McCarthy after.
It's Macdonald's first lead role in a feature, and her first time bringing a film to Cannes. As the cast all gathered for some cocktails ahead of the screening Macdonald explained she's had an eventful time: ''It's been amazing because there's all these kind of fancy parties that you go to and we're in this like beautiful location - but then my bags got lost and then we got stuck in an elevator for 20 minutes. Everyone was just pouring with sweat and we climbed out of the elevator once they wrenched the door open, it was crazy," she said.
"All these crazy things are happening and that makes it even better, honestly, because it's just an adventure."
Director Geremy Jasper wrote the film based on his own experiences in hiphop in New Jersey, bringing his first feature film to Cannes has been an exhausting, exhilarating experience.
"Partying, feeling very under-slept, drinking way too much coffee, way too much champagne, smoking way too many cigarettes just like being very bad - being naughty, and then having to talk a lot about Patti ... it's been kind of intense.
The Cannes Film Festival ends on Sunday (May 28).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.