- Title: Venezuelaâ€™s Maduro lashes out at Trump amid protests
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: AUDIENCE AT EVENT WITH MUSIC PLAYING MADURO SHAKING HIS FIST IN THE AIR AND CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 00:23
- Keywords: United States Donald Trump Nicolas Maduro protests Venezuela
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046IW61C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday (May 29) said U.S. President Donald Trump was worse than his predecessor Barack Obama as the OPEC nation grapples with anti-government protests.
Nearly 60 people have died in Venezuela amidst widespread dissatisfaction with the Socialist government. Food shortages, triple-digit inflation and spiralling crime are some of the concerns of government critics who have taken to the streets to demand early elections.
However, a defiant President Maduro has rejected opposition protests against him as a movement managed by foreign rivals in the United States.
Earlier this month, Maduro lashed out against Trump when a fresh round of U.S. sanctions were announced after Venezuela's Supreme Court passed a ruling annulling the opposition-led Congress.
Maduro, who had originally urged the world to give Trump a chance after he was elected, unfurled a fresh bout of criticism directed at the U.S. leader.
In an apparent bid to show the government was seeking a democratic solution, Maduro is pushing ahead with a controversial "constituent assembly" that will have powers to change the constitution. Critics are concerned that the move will see government allies stacked in the assembly to cement the ruling government's power.
Regional gubernatorial elections meant to have taken place last year will now be held in December well after the constituent assembly has been chosen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.