- Title: Mexico still vigilant for more peso volatily - Finance Minister
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (FILE) (REUTERS) US DOLLAR NOTES BEING COUNTED IN MACHINE PERSON COUNTING US DOLLAR NOTES BY HAND US DOLLAR NOTES BEING ORGANISED INTO PILE PEDESTRIANS WALKING
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 22:02
- Keywords: Jose Antonio Meade Interior Minister currency volatility peso
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Currencies/Foreign Exchange Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IW6L37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Mexican peso has seen a "favourable" trend, but is still subject to volatility that requires authorities to be "cautious, careful and responsible," Finance Minister Jose Antonio Meade said at an event in Mexico City on Monday (May 29).
The peso was battered to a record low in January on worries that U.S. President Donald Trump would slap tariffs on Mexican-made goods.
But the currency has rallied back as Trump's administration has taken a more conciliatory tone in talks with Mexico and Canada to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The peso was little changed on Monday, with low volume due to the U.S. Memorial Day holiday, as it traded around 18.49 per dollar, close to levels seen last week that were the strongest since the surprise of Trump's November win.
The peso has been the best performing major currency with a more than 12 percent gain this year.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None