- Title: Southgate says Rooney must play regularly to merit place in England squad
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: ENFIELD, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - MARCH 26, 2015) (REUTERS) WAYNE ROONEY TRAINING WITH ENGLAND
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 13:53
- Keywords: England Gareth Southgate manager Wayne Rooney Scotland
- Location: NEAR BURTON, ENFIELD & LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: NEAR BURTON, ENFIELD & LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J167GF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England manager Gareth Southgate said at a news conference on Tuesday (May 30) that he left out Wayne Rooney from his squad that faces Scotland in a World Cup qualifier on June 10 because he lacked playing time at his club Manchester United this season.
Southgate said his exclusion didn't necessarily mean an end to his illustrious international career but Rooney needed to make decisions in the summer - hinting he may need to move to another club where he is guaranteed first-team football.
The England manager said he still hasn't yet decided which player will wear the captain's armband when they travel to Scotland, saying the competition for places is tough with a number of leaders emerging in the squad.
Southgate said he was relishing the opportunity to play in Hampden Park - a venue that has traditionally been hostile to the English given the local rivalry.
England - who have yet to concede a goal in Group F - top the group with 13 points from five games, with Scotland in fourth place yet only two points behind Slovakia who sit in second place - a position which could give the team a chance at the play-offs.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None