- Title: Car bombs kill 20 in central Baghdad -security sources
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THICK BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM BLAST SITE WHERE CAR BOMB EXPLODED
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 08:45
- Keywords: car bomb Baghdad Islamic State Karkh district
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J14HTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two car bombs killed at least 20 people in Baghdad and wounded about 80 others in streets packed with crowds preparing for the Ramadan fast early on Tuesday (May 30), security sources said.
Reuters footage showed the aftermath of the second bombing that killed seven people and wounded 38 near a government office in the Karkh district. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
That blast followed a suicide attack just after midnight (2100 GMT, Monday (May 29)) in the capital's commercial Karrada district, which killed at least 13 people and wounded 40. Islamic State claimed responsibility.
Islamic State has been retreating in Iraq since the end of 2015 in the face of U.S.-backed government forces and Iranian-backed Shi'ite paramilitary groups, and is now besieged in an enclave in the northern city of Mosul.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None