- Title: Germany's Merkel meets Indian PM Modi for trade talks
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MILITARY HONOURS CEREMONY GERMAN, INDIAN AND EUROPEAN UNION FLAGS VARIOUS OF MILITARY HONOURS CEREMONY MERKEL AND MODI ENTERING CHANCELLERY
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 09:35
- Keywords: Angela Merkel Narendra Modi German-Indian government consultation
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J15007
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel welcomed Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the chancellery in Berlin on Tuesday (May 30) for the fourth round of a German-Indian government consultation.
The two leaders and government delegations were set to discuss enhancing strategic and business ties on the second and final day of Modi's visit to Europe's leading economic power. India has expressed keen interest in attracting more German companies to invest and improve bilateral relations.
Merkel's talks with Modi and a meeting later this week with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang reflect Berlin's willingness to work with other countries if Washington proves problematic on climate and trade policy.
Modi's arrival on Monday (May 29) came a day after German Chancellor Angela Merkel shocked many in Washington and London by saying Europe must take its fate into its own hands, implying that the United States under President Donald Trump and Britain after its Brexit vote were no longer reliable partners.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.