- Title: Journalists demand justice in Mexico amidst media killings
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: WOMAN HOLDING UP PHOTO OF SLAIN JOURNALIST
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 01:49
- Keywords: journalists murder violence Mexico justice protest Mexico City
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J16YBN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS LANGUAGE THAT MAY OFFEND IN SHOT #6
A group of Mexican journalists gathered under the Angel of Independence monument in Mexico City on Tuesday (May 30) to denounce a spate of media killings in the country, calling for justice to be done amidst a backdrop of impunity and corruption in drug-ravaged states of the country.
Earlier this month, renowned Mexico journalist Javier Valdez was gunned down in the lawless state of Sinaloa, the fifth journalist killed in recent months in the country as authorities struggle to contain resurgent bloodshed among warring drug cartels.
Valdez was well-known for writing hard-hitting pieces linking authorities to drug cartels in the country.
Under pressure to stop the tide of killings, President Enrique Pena Nieto announced measures to strengthen investigations into attacks on journalists. But since Valdez's murder, other media workers have come forward claiming they have received death threats.
Protesters are calling on the general public to join their movement to bring an end to violence against the media.
Despite the international acclaim of many of its journalists, Mexico ranks alongside Syria as one of the most dangerous places for media.
In all Mexico, over 120 journalists have been killed since 2000, according to the country's National Commission on Human Rights.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.